1. Why is my hardwood floor denting?
Hardwood contains a cell structure that if enough pressure is applied, the cell wall will collapse and a dent will appear.
2. What happened when I moved my area rug and now the wood is lighter?
Wood goes through a natural aging process called patina and sunlight aids in the process of this condition. It is best to move area rugs or other items from time to time.
3. Can I wash my urethane floor?
Yes, but it is not recommended. Wax may repress the adhesion of future applications of top coating materials or make it slippery. Once you wax a floor, it should be managed as a wax finished floor.
4. Can hardwood floors be installed in the bathroom?
Due to the high moisture associated with bathrooms, it is not recommended because it may cause improper conditions for hardwood flooring.
5. Are color variations to be expected with hardwood floors?
Yes, no two boards are the same, so therefore you will see variations from board to board.
6. Are hardwood floors difficult to care for?
Not so. In many cases, they are easier than carpet, ceramic tile, laminate or vinyl.
7. How should the floor be protected from furniture?
Felt protector pads should be placed on the legs of all furniture.
8. What should be used under area rugs?
Mesh or grid patterns serve best.
9. Should hot, soapy water be used when mopping the floor?
No, because water can age hardwood floors and cause them to crack and split.
10. Can wood floors that are damaged be repaired?
Yes, there are touch-up kits that help with scratches and if the damage is severe, individual boards may be replaced.
11. Should a finish be applied to prevent moisture from getting into the cracks?)
Due to temperature fluctuations, sealing will only last until the first heating or cooling season. The wood expands in the summer and contracts in the winter but it is normal for the wood to go through this process throughout its life.
12. What is the best wood to use if there is a large dog present in the home?
Oak is probably sufficient because its heavy grain helps to hide scratches, but as an extra precaution make sure your pets claws are trimmed and filed.
13. How are buckled floorboards fixed?
You can remove the damaged boards or take out the floor from where the damage starts and replace it to the wall.
14. Are problems with moisture to be expected?
It is important that the boards dry evenly because if not, cupping or crowing can appear. Cupping and crowing is when water is trapped between the wood floor and the subfloor.
15. Why is the floor loose and squeaky?
There are several possibilities that could result to this. Inadequate nailing, flexing weak subfloor systems, insufficient or incorrect adhesives which could subject the floor to excessive drying or moisture.
16. Will the floor age or change in color?
Yes, it is only natural due to the ultraviolet rays of the sun whether it is direct or indirect. The change is more noticeable in lighter colors than darker colors. These changes are not covered by warranty.
17. Can I roll heavy furniture across the hardwood floor?
No. When moving heavy furniture across the room make sure all surfaces are protected as to not damage the floor in any way.
18. How should the wood be handled prior to installation?
The room should not exceed temperatures of 72 degrees if the is room heated. Never unload in the rain. If the area is damp, cover with a tarpaulin until it can be unloaded. Never deliver or store unprotected flooring in rain, sleet or snow.